Dealing With Anger: Imploders and Exploders
Read the first two boxes under the title.
1. Complete the chart to show the similarities and differences between exploders and imploders.
2. Based on your pre-reading, what do you think is the purpose of the text?
a. To explain why imploders are nicer people to know than exploders.
b. To prove that the British people are angrier than other nationalities.
c. To show why anger is bad for us and to give advice on how to deal with it.
d. To prove that getting angry can be a positive thing in some circumstances.
3. What were the reasons for Fiona Quinlivan’s anger?
4. Fiona Quinlin says that visualization has helped her. Complete the flow chart to show the stages of the technique.
5. What were the benefits of visualization for Fiona?
6. Using information in paragraph 3, complete the diagrams to show the negative results of anger.
7. What general idea is supported by the findings of the studies on chronically angry people (paragraph 4)?
People who are chronically angry have more illnesses____________________
8. Using information in paragraph 5, complete the chart to show how chronic or repeated anger can lead to a heart attack.
9. What does Mike Fisher suggest people write in their daily ‘anger logbook’?
10. What general idea is supported by the findings of the Swedish study?( line 52)
11. In paragraph 7 the writer lists a number of strategies that can be used to manage anger. Complete the table to show: a) what you should do when using the strategy and b) the purpose of the strategy
Strategy What you should do Purpose of Strategy
Ask yourself questions
Ask yourself 4 questions to evaluate the situation Evaluation helps change anger into rational thought that you can control
Consider your options If you want to
deal with the incident, imagine a few scenarios This will take the focus off your anger and give you perspective.
Put pen to paper Write down the things that anger you It lets you reflect and reduce your
Do a cost-benefit analysis Ask yourself, “Is getting angry going to get me anything? Shelton Kartun, a London stress-
management counsellor advises: “Give yourself a moment to think,
so you can react appropriately.”
Don’t personalize You must say to yourself,
“He isn’t doing this to me on purpose. He just doesn’t know any better”
Angry people often distrust other peoples’ motives
Find out more If anger affects you all the time, you might want to
ask an expert more about how to chill out and relax. Counsellors
And psychotherapists specialising in anger management can
Recommend relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation and t’ai chi.
Post Reading: Are You an Imploder or an Exploder?
12. Read the following situation:
You are waiting in the queue at the supermarket. You are in a hurry because you have to be at work in half an hour. Somebody pushes to the front of the queue, saying he only has a few items to pay for. However there is a problem with his credit card and you and the rest of the queue have to wait for the problem to be dealt with.
a. How would you deal with the situation?
I will be very anger and tell the cashier in the supermarket that I was before him and let me do before him the bill because he’s delaying everyone._________
b. Are you an Imploder or an Exploder?
|מילות מפתח||אנגלית, אנגלית ממן 14 טרום בסיסי ב, ממן 14, ממן 14 טרום בסיסי ב|
|מקצוע/ות||אמנות, אנגלית, אנתרופולוגיה, ביולוגיה, גאוגרפיה, היסטוריה, הנדסה ותעשייה, חינוך, חשבונאות, יהדות, כלכלה, מדעי המדינה ויחבל, מדעים, ממ"נים, מנהל עסקים, משפטים, מתמטיקה ומדעי המחשב, סוציולוגיה, ספרות, ספרנות ומידענות, סקירות ספרות, עבודה סוציאלית, פילוסופיה, פסיכולוגיה, קולנוע ותאטרון, קרימינולוגיה, שפה וספרות, תיירות, תקשורת|