Narcissism and Celebrity
1. Do you follow media items covering the lives of celebrities?
□ Yes □ No
If yes, how can you explain your interest in celebrities?
If no, why not?
2. Look at the title. What do you think the relationship between narcissism and celebrity might be?
Questions based on the abstract
3. Which 4 types of celebrities participated in the study?
4. Which two groups of subjects were compared in this study?
5. What instrument was used to measure ‘narcissism’?
6. List any two findings which were reported in the study.
Questions based on the text
7. Why are we limited in our access to information about celebrities?
8. What is the writers’ rationale for conducting this particular study?
9. (The 3 main objectives of the study are to examine whether…(circle the correct answers
a. the degree of narcissism among celebrities is higher than other groups.
b. the degree of narcissism among celebrities is the same among all types of celebrities.
c. characteristics of narcissism vary among different types of celebrities.
d. characteristics of narcissism are dominant in all types of celebrities.
e. the degree of narcissism among celebrities is a result of their exposure in the media.
f. the degree of narcissism among celebrities is a result of their eccentric behavior.
10. What is the definition of celebrities?
Which of the following are characteristics of a narcissistic personality?
(Mark X the correct boxes)
□ sensitive to people’s feelings
□ happier than a non-narcissist
□ fame seeker
12. According to the writers, who might benefit from the findings of the study?
13. Why did the writers choose MBA students to participate in their study?
14. a. Which group (celebrities/MBA students) scored higher on the NPI?
b. Which sub-group within the celebrities sample scored higher on the NPI?
c. How do the writers explain this finding?
15. Look at Table 2.
a. Which type of celebrities scored highest on the NPI?
b. On which scales did Reality TV celebrities score the highest?
c. According to the Discussion section, how do the writers interpret the finding that reality TV personalities exhibit the highest level of narcissism? Give 2 reasons
Read the last paragraph. The writers suggest two possible explanations to a specific finding.
a. Which finding do the writers refer to?
b. What are the two explanations for this finding?
c. What is the writers’ suggestion for further research on this issue?
17. (Choose a celebrity who participated in any reality TV program (Big Brother, Survivor, The Amazing Race, Dancing with the Stars etc.
Do you think that the text has contributed to your understanding of his/her personality? Explain your answer.
|מילות מפתח||Narcissism and Celebrity|