Facebook and Online Privacy:
Attitudes, Behaviors and Unintended Consequences
1. Do you have a Facebook account? Yes No
If yes, why did you open an account?
If no, why don’t you have a Facebook account?
2. Look at the title. The writers refer to the connection between Facebook and privacy issues. According to the title, which possible consequences do you think the writers will discuss?
Questions based on the abstract
3. What is the paradox the writer refers to in his findings?
4. (Below is a list of features found in a research report. Which features are found in the abstract? (Mark the correct box
Questions based on par. 1-13
5. ( What are some of the potential risks of social network sites to their users’ privacy? (List 3
6. (To this end, we will first take a look at research on Facebook’s privacy flaws and at existing studies of user behavior and privacy.” (par. 2″
a. What does the expression ‘to this end’ mean?
b. What is the writer’s specific end in this research?
8. What is the writers’ rationale behind conducting this research?
9. Despite the risks you referred to in question 5, what do people feel they gain from using social network sites?
This section is entitled “Privacy and Facebook: The Visible and the Invisible.” In your own words, explain what are the visible and invisible aspects interacting in Facebook which the writers refer to in this section
Questions based on par. 14-23
11. The writers use three theories to explain Facebook’s users disregard for privacy issues. Match the theory with the example which best illustrates the main idea of the theory.
12. a. Who were the subjects in this study?
b. Which tools were used in the research?
Questions based on par. 24-43
13. a. Match the hypothesis with the finding which best refers to it.
b. According to the findings, which hypothesis(es) were fully confirmed?
14.(Mark True (T) or False (F
According to the Qualitative Interviews section, students perceive Facebook’s advantages outweigh its downsides on privacy issues.
15. Which two coping strategies do victims of privacy invasion tend to employ?
16. List three of the writers’ suggestions to reduce the perceived risk to personal privacy posed by Facebook.
17. If you have a Facebook account, has the article affected your opinion on changing your Facebook privacy settings now? Explain your answer.
If you do not have a Facebook account, would you consider opening a Facebook account after reading this article? Explain your answer.
|מילות מפתח||Behaviors and Unintended Consequences, Facebook and Online Privacy: Attitudes|
|מקצוע/ות||אנגלית, ממ"נים, תחומים אחרים|