אנגלית לצרכיים אקדמיים – מתקדמים א’ (61133).
Section 2: Kids in Cities are a responsibility (par. 10-12)
5. Why is fertility dropping in today’s world? Give four explanations.
1. The declining death rate, meaning people don’t feel they need to have so many children.
2.Urbanization, where in a farm, the young where working alongside their parents, in a city it is different and they need full time care and become responsibility.
3. Cultural changes which liberated women from the “home and chil-rearing” thinking, “opening” their eyes to a new world.
4. Birth control methods.
Section 3: No Forced Contraception (paragraphs 13 – end)
6. “Rich or poor, socialist or capitalist, Muslim or Catholic, with tough family planning policies or none, most countries tell the same story: women are voting with their wombs.”(par. 16)
a. Give an example from the text for –
( choose 3)
a poor country: In Vietnam, women halved their fertility to 2.3 children.
a socialist country _________________
a Muslim country: Iranian women were taking their own decisions and fertility rates crashed from 5.5 children per woman to 2.2 in just 12 years (1988-2000).
a Catholic country: Millions of Brazilian women have attended sterilization clinics and fertility decreased by 50% in 20 years.
a country with tough family planning policies ____________________
b. What does the writer mean by “women are voting with their wombs”?
The writer means that women, all over the world are not waiting for the government or someone else to decide for them. They are deciding by themselves to take the fertility rates down, regardless their education, at what age they marry, religion etc. The common factor uniting them is the availability of cheap contraceptives.
7. The author mentions several demographers (par. 17-20) who try to explain dropping fertility rates.
Choose one demographer: Jack Caldwell
What is this demographer’s explanation?
Female today are educated as good (if not better) than their male partner. Unlike their mothers, they are not willing to stay home and raise children, but prefer to have successful careers.
11. The writer presents some recommendations.
According to the writer, what needs to be done?
As women wants to become more like men (Career, work, education), men needs to become more like women.
|מילות מפתח||Mama Mia, maman 12 - MAMMA MIA - אנגלית מתקדמים א, ממ"ן 12 אנגלית, ממן 12|